Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Long overdue update

To the people who read this page, few as you may be, I apologize for the long period of inactivity on this blog. Internet access in Santiago, while ubiquitous, is generally hardly stable for long enough for such an endeavour as writing a blog. So then, things that have happened since I last wrote:


Cerro Santa Lucia

While walking towards the city center one morning, I chanced upon the Cerro Santa Lucia, a beautifully decorated hill of greenery and sculpture. As I stepped through the entrance gates, I was greeted by two highly-detailed statues of a boy and a girl...as well as a guard.

After a confusing exchange of Spanish and English, and a lot of hand-gesturing, I was taken to understand that I had to sign in the guestbook...which I obligingly did, with a fake name, of course. And so began Luigi Marcelo's tour of Cerro Santa Lucia.







It was a good-sized hill, by Singaporean standards, and was slightly bigger than Fort Canning, by my estimate. A network of cobblestone pavements and rough pathways hewn directly from the rock led around and up the hill.












Right: View from the side of the hill. You can see the road that leads around it from this point, which is less than midway up the hill. If you look closely in the shadow, you might spot a couple having an amorous time. Such sights are commonplace around here. I counted at least ten passionately entwined couples on my way up.






Every now and then, one would come across a statue in the Gothic, Greco-Roman, or a contemporary style. Although it seemed like whoever designed the layout couldn't make up his mind about what style to use, the statues were still a nice complement to the surroundings; petrified figures in the midst of lush foliage with leaves swaying gently in the breeze make for a serene setting.



Right: Looks like vandals are frequent visitors here.



















Left: A satyr's visage leers at you from a stone parapet.















Right: Another view of the hill. This was about a quarter of the way from the summit.












It was an easy climb to the summit, upon reaching which, I was treated to a fantastic view of the city skyline against the mountainous backdrop.



















Paseo Ahumada/Plaza de Armas

Picking up where I left off, I continued on towards the city center. It was crowded that day, and I was stopped by a policeman who, in response to my 'No hablo Espanol', made a gesture that I should wind my camera cord around my hand so as to prevent snatch theft. Amusing. Someone who would try snatching something from me must have a deathwish. Anyway, the place was a shopper's haven. There were shops everywhere selling an incredible variety of goods. Having forgotten to bring some cash with me, I decided to return the next day.





Right: One of the older, cobblestone-paved streets in the city area. The place is a mix of new and old buildings, with quaint stroll-shopping streets like this alongside main roads lined with trendy boutiques and megastores.




Yes, those are real flowers you see. Arranged in a donkey-cart and left on the same street as decoration.









Right: A dingy little pushcart stall in front of an old classical-looking building.




At noon the next day, I had a quick lunch and was off to the city once again. This time, I ventured into the Plaza de Armas, a huge square in the midst of bustling city activity. There were makeshift stalls selling paintings on the square when I arrived. The artwork ranged from detailed still-life studies to dreamlike impressionistic ones.




Right: It's still early in the day. This place will be thronged later in the afternoon.




Left: Another view of the plaza. See that grand building on the left? I'm guessing it's some military or police building, because there are always guards in uniform outside the door.






Left: Man feeding pigeons. They are a lot less shy with humans here.






Left: A corridor on one side of the plaza, lined with snack stalls. Reminds me of a hawker center.







Right: There is always something happening at the plaza. Here, a band of clowns are parodying the marriage solemnization ceremony.





I left the plaza by way of the Ahumada street, a veritable commercial hotspot. It was crowded with people in business suits, people in slacks, the young, the old, the trendy, the nerdy... Feeling in need of a snack and remembering that all my food was being paid for, I walked into this gelataria and got myself a tasty treat which cost only slightly more than 1 USD.

2 comments:

aethyrs said...

You take beautiful pictures, as always :) Glad to see you're enjoying Chile... and Chilean wine I'm sure!

Anchovy said...

My thanks for your compliments. I hope life in Singapore has been treating you well.